The UK has a huge demand for engineering talent but not sufficient supply.
“1.8 million engineers” are needed in the UK by 2025Engineering UK
“Anticipated shortages of Engineering & Technical workers causing most anxiety for employers”Recruitment and Employment Confederation
- What does the engineering sector look like in the UK, in terms of employment?
- Why are there skill shortages in engineering in the UK?
- How to deal with engineering skill shortages?
- How to find great temporary engineering recruitment agencies in the UK?
What does the engineering sector look like in the UK, in terms of employment?
In 2016, there were 5.7 million people employed in the UK workforce (19%), split between:
- Manufacturing (42% of the total)
- Information and Communication (20%)
- and Construction (18%).
The UK engineering sector is plagued by skill shortages, in particular for high-skilled vacancies. EngineeringUK estimates that 79,000 engineering-related roles are created every year.
The starting salary for engineering graduates, at £25,607, is 18% higher than graduates overall.
Why are there skill shortages in the engineering sector in the UK?
There are 3 main reasons for the engineering skills gap in the UK:
- Emergence of new technologies and greater automation: With an increasing number of high-tech companies, more and more highly skilled jobs are being created in the UK. It’s estimated that the number of high-skilled engineering and technical roles increased by 2.3 million in 20 years, between 1994 and 2014.
- Lack of attractiveness of STEM subjects: A lot of children and students don’t see STEM subjects and engineering careers as inspiring. As mentioned by Ann Watson, SEMTA’s Chief Executive, ‘so many young people who have an engineering skill and aptitude are lost to the sector because they’re not given that encouragement earlier.’
- Challenges due to Brexit uncertainties: While the EU workforce represent 7.7% of the total workforce in the UK, it’s much higher in Manufacturing (11.5%) and Construction (8.7%). The uncertainties linked to Brexit are adding extra pressure in the Engineering sector.
How to deal with engineering skill shortages?
Some measures have a short-term impact, others will take a lot of time, as they require a fundamental shift in policies, education as well as mindset and behaviours.
Short term measure: Using Engineering Recruitment Agencies
To increase your chances to find temporary or permanent engineering staff, using a recruitment agency could be an option.
If you’re looking to hire permanent or temporary engineering and technical staff, there are 853 recruitment agencies registered with the REC, the Recruitment and Employment Confederation, specialised in this sector:
- 475 agencies can supply temporary engineering and technical staff
- and 521 can source engineering staff for permanent positions.
If you need temporary Engineering and Technical staff, TempaGoGo can help – in a few minutes, our platform connects you with temporary recruitment agencies specialised in the sector. Those with available candidates will contact you in 5 minutes, on average.
Medium term measure: Recruiting apprentices
Recruiting Engineering Apprentices can be a great way to fill your vacancies, and meet the requirement of the apprentice levy at the same time!
129,059 apprentices started an engineering-related apprenticeship between 2015 and 2016 in the UK.
Medium term measure: Encouraging diversity in Engineering
Long term measure: Promoting STEM subjects at school, from an early age
Changing mindsets and perceptions is probably one of the toughest challenges for the industry. As mentioned by Dame Judith Hackitt, the chair of the manufacturing trade body EEF, ‘we’re failing to inspire young people to take up careers in engineering’.
How to find great temporary engineering recruitment agencies in the UK?
To conclude, finding engineering staff is very difficult in the UK. It can be even more difficult if you’re not an established brand name, for example, a small or medium sized manufacturing or construction company, or if you’re looking for engineering or technical staff temporarily.
TempaGoGo is here to help – we connect you with recruitment agencies specialised in the Engineering and Technical sector to find the staff you need as fast as possible.
It can help you not only save time, but also money, as you can compare candidate’s profiles and prices from one agency to the other, in one place.
Agencies with available candidates would typically come back to you in less than 5 minutes. No need to call round agencies anymore!
So, why not try TempaGoGo?